BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Twists & Turns

Have you ever noticed that just when you think you have everything figured out and all is going well, something happens and all of a sudden you're heading in a completely opposite direction? I've heard it referred to as the roller-coaster of life. You're traveling along on a nice straight section of life then, poof... next thing you know, you're heading south! I've had some abrupt twists and turns throughout my life, some were relatively seamless and some... just about snapped my head off! It's those that make me wonder if I, at age 45, really have a clue about what life truly is about? Many years ago, Tuesday, July 13, 1982 to be exact, was a major turning point in my life. Up until that point in time, I was a fairly quiet, shy, reserved young girl of 18. On that day, one year after graduating high school, riding in my 1966 Ford Mustang with my, at the time, boyfriend... BANG! Head-on collision!


This wreck put me in the hospital for several days and again later for a skin graft. Beside traveling half way through the windshield, cutting my face horribly, I had a concussion, a gash on my leg that was 4 inches wide and 8 inches deep into the lower part of my calf, bruised kidneys, and numerous other cuts, scrape and bruises. My boyfriend was injured also, but not as seriously and required no hospital stay - somehow, he landed in the backseat! This was the turning point for several things... after regaining normal cognitive thought - it dawned on me, had I died at this moment in time, would my family and friends know that I loved them? From this point on, I've made ever effort to let people know how I feel - it isn't always easy but, it's better than leaving things unsaid forever.

Some people never learn the importance of being open and honest and being able to express your feelings to those you love and care about. I learned this the hard way as well as other valuable life-lessons.

Because of certain circumstance due to this accident, I lost my first real job and my first real boyfriend... even though we're now friendly acquaintances. But then there were the blessings in disguise - I found my real career calling (drafting), found love, lost love and found it again... with all the ups and downs, twists and turns that come with living this life. And what a ride it's been and continues to be...

0 comments: